Monday, January 13, 2014

Post-Marathon Thoughts

I did it!!  I am officially a marathoner!



I'm so far behind on race recaps but I wanted to get my thoughts out now before I forgot them.  I was sooo nervous in the corral waiting for the race to start.  Because of my injury, I honestly had no idea if I would even make it to mile 1.  And so when I got mile 1.5 (with a stop at the 1 miler marker for a picture of course) I realized that I really needed to start my run/walk intervals because everyone said to slow down at the beginning.  But I was feeling that good that I could easily have kept going.  I had no pain in the beginning!  I had a few twinges in my calf start at about mile 2.5.  It was really only the first few steps of my run intervals so I was playing around with which foot to start with and then it went away in a few miles.  And that was the end of the leg pain for the whole race!!

I got a huge blister on my left pinky toe at mile 19.  I stopped twice during mile 19 & 20 (to see what it was & then at the medical tent to put a bandaid on it).  Putting tight compression socks back on sweaty legs takes FOREVER!!  So the blister hurt for a few miles and then I felt it pop.  Yes, that killed but then the pain went to something manageable. 

I don't think I really ever hit the wall.  Yes, miles 19 & 20 were tough due to the pain and I was wondering how I was going to do 7 more miles like that.  But then it went away.  At mile 20, I dropped to 1:1 intervals since that was farther than I had ever gone but I never hit that mental point where I didn't think I could do it.  I'm not sure if it was because I wasn't going that fast or hard.  Or maybe it was because I had had a mental wall for the past week wondering about if I was going to be able to run at all due to the injury so that the last few miles weren't tough.  I mean, I DEFINITELY got tired.  After WWOS, I was wondering if the we were ever going to get to the Studios.  But it wasn't nearly as horrible as I thought it was going to be. 

Except for during the blister part, I didn't take any extra walk breaks that weren't planned (the walk intervals, picture stops, and water stops, oh and one bathroom break).  So I was proud of that.

I never got bored either.  I think it's because I'm used to the long runs by myself on the boring stretch of street where I live.  So even though Osceola Parkway was a long stretch of nothing, I was completely entertained by the other runners.  And I was also checking my Facebook and Twitter a bunch too.  The comments on my page were sooo motivating!  And I loved the crowd support, especially towards the end from the Studios on (I definitely took advantage of some spectators that were passing out pretzels--just what I needed!!!)

My finishing time was 5:31:19.  I was only 7 minutes off my pre-injury goal.  And even though I had said that my only goal was to finish, I kinda got mad at myself because I was so close!  If I hadn't fought with getting my compression socks on, I just might have made it!  Oh, and the almost 50 picture stops affected my time too.

I was feeling so good after the race.  No leg pain or soreness.  The only thing that was bugging me was my feet--I wanted my shoes off immediately and luckily I had told my hubby to bring flip flops.  Everyone kept trying to help me around but I didn't need it (including getting down to the ground to take the socks off and then standing up again).  But yesterday afternoon was a different story.  I didn't have much muscle pain but my joints hurt--both knees, both ankles and then both Achilles hurt.  And I had a weird bruising sensation all of the top of my body.  Still can't figure that one out (but it's gone today).  As for the pain today, my  muscles are a little more sore but nothing terrible.  My right ankle is the only thing still really bothering me.  It hurts quite a bit!  Its the same one that was hurting before the race, so a doctors apt might be necessary--agh.

People keep asking me if I'd do another marathon and the answer is yes!  But probably only if it's a Disney marathon.  I need the stimulation of the parks and the characters and entertainment and people dressed in costume.  I don't think I could handle a regular marathon without all of that to keep me occupied.  As for Dopey or Goofy, I don't think my body could handle the training or the races so that's out.  But one day I will do another Disney marathon!!  I had a blast!!

17 comments:

  1. Congrats Andrea! I'm so proud of you marathoner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I am so incredibly proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations marathoner! This was my first marathon last year and I haven't been able to bring myself to run another one, but I'm looking to change that by going back to Disney for next year's marathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the perfect marathon for your first time!

      Delete
  4. A huge CONGRATULATIONS Andrea! I share your right ankle pain just as I share becoming a marathoner! This was an awesome race, and will never be forgotten. YOU DID IT!

    Rick Stiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your ankle is feeling better! And your Dopey accomplishment is amazing!!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on completing your first full marathon! I'm husband shares your same opinion on marathons - the only ones he'll ever run will be at Disney for the very same reasons you mentioned. Are you considering running again in 2015?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, we're hoping to start trying to have a family in the summer so I'm not sure I'd be able to. I'm thinking maybe I'll start training and see if there are charity bibs left if I'm able to

      Delete
  6. I could not agree more with the feeling after WWOS... Only it was in WWOS. That was the longest 4 miles of the race for me.

    Congrats again, and it was so good to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent the WWOS miles focusing on that stupid blister!

      Delete